Staff category Senior Academic Staff
Specific designationRecruitment is a tenure track appointment which implies an initial appointment as lecturer (assistant professor) for a period of 5 years with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer (i.e. associate professor) by the end of this initial period.
Scope of mandate 1 FTE
Faculty Engineering Sciences
DepartmentMathematics and Data Science
Education & research domain
Mathematics/Continuous techniques in Data Science
- You will contribute to the Bachelor in Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Data Science, Physics and to the Master programme in Mathematics.
- You will play a leading role in developing courses in mathematics, also for other disciplines. Concretely, the following courses will be part of the teaching assignment:
- Analyse (14 ECTS) (Analysis, 1st Bachelor Engineering Sciences, Mathematics and Data Science, and Physics)
- Voortgezette analyse (6 ECTS) (Advanced Analysis, 2nd Bachelor Engineering and Architectural Design)
- Aanvullingen van de wiskunde (3 ECTS) (Advanced topics in Mathematics, Bachelor Engineering)
- Wiskundige technieken (1 ECTS) (Mathematical Techniques, 1st Bachelor Engineering Sciences)
- Specialisatievak in Master (bi-annual) (6 ECTS) (Elective course in Master of Mathematics)
- You are expected to guide Bachelor, Master and PhD theses, also in the context of the collaboration with the "International Bachelor CergYgrec: Modelling and Data Science for a Changing World."
- You are expected to have research expertise in mathematical analysis with contributions to data science, more precisely in the combination of knowledge-driven (e.g. using PDE, sparse, geometric or stochastic models) and data-driven approaches for solving inverse problems.
- You are required to have a strong track record, as proven by publications in high-ranking journals within the discipline.
- You are also expected to actively pursue, and have provable experience with, obtaining research funding, of fundamental as well as of applied type.
- It is expected that your research offers potential for collaboration with the other researchers in the department as well as in the faculty of Engineering and the faculty of Sciences and Bio-engineering Sciences.
- Are you a junior candidate, then you are expected to be actively working on establishing a network, while a more senior candidate is expected to have already established such a network.
- You should also actively contribute to the workings of the department, and participate in student recruitment activities.
As a formal minimum requirement, applicants must a hold a PhD in mathematics or mathematical engineering awarded on the basis of an original thesis.
- You are expected to subscribe to the university’s vision of education. (The full text in relation to this is available on the university website.)
- Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful delivery of a teaching session.
- Members of the academic staff who, as title-holders, are charged with teaching assignments, must be able to demonstrate the required knowledge of the language of instruction for the relevant course units. Example: When a course unit is taught in English, the candidate is required to have the appropriate certificate. More information about the regulations concerning the language proficiency you can find via https://jobs.vub.be/content/Regulations-concerning-language-proficiency/
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you’ll work, every day, in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our campuses are located in the middle of a green oasis at the edge of the capital city of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. That city centre, with all its opportunities and possibilities, is easily accessed by public transport in less than half an hour.
Depending on your experience and your academic merits, you’ll receive a salary in one of the grades that have been set by the government. Standard inclusions include hospitalisation insurance and the free use of public transport for your home–work commute. And if you prefer to bike to work? There’s compensation for that too. On both campuses, there are extensive sport facilities available to you and childcare facilities within walking distance.
For more information on what it’s like to work at the VUB, go to www.vub.ac.be/en/jobs.
Planned starting date: 01/10/2021
Length of contract 5 years (renewable)
Waiting period: 15/04/2021
Contact person: Prof. Ann Dooms
Contact telephone: 02/629 34 88
Contact e-mail: email@example.com
Applications can only be made ONLINE through the following website:
Your application must include the following as a minimum:
- A concise CV;
- The academic dossier with all relevant elements;
- Vision of education and research and a list of your five most important publications;
- A brief statement of reasons for the candidature, including an explanation of the expansion of future research;
- Degrees and diplomas..