Applications are invited for a Lectureship in Financial Mathematics in the Department of Mathematics at King's College London,
Candidates are expected to have expertise in mathematical finance or related areas including but not limited to data sciences, numerical analysis, probability theory and applied mathematics. Candidates should have the potential to carry out research in mathematical finance or related areas which has high levels of originality, innovation and depth that may well lead to significant impact on their field over the long term.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the research activity of the Department, take part in teaching and examining for the Department’s undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes, make a contribution to the academic organisation of the Department, and have demonstrable ability to attract research funding.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality
The Department of Mathematics is a registered supporter of the London Mathematical Society’s (LMS) Good Practice Scheme which supports advancing women’s careers in university mathematics departments. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and have policies to support staff with flexible arrangements for parental responsibilities or those returning from a long-term absence. The department was awarded an Athena SWAN bronze award in 2020. We positively encourage women applicants and those from an ethnic minority to apply, as they are currently under-represented within the Department of Mathematics.
The poost is available from 1 September 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further particulars of the post can be located below and further information about the department and the research group can be found at: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/mathematics
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
All candidates should have the potential to carry out research in mathematical sciences which has high levels of originality, innovation and depth that may lead to significant impact on their field.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Undertake a self-directed programme of research and scholarship at a level commensurate with the current international standards of excellence within the department.
- Demonstrate a proven ability or potential for achieving research excellence.
- Promote the reputation of the research group through scientific meetings, scholarship and other externally facing activities.
- Deliver an excellent student experience through innovative teaching and assessment methods for both undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes, in particular in the MSc Financial Mathematics.
- Provide supervision to Postgraduate Research Students.
- Enthusiastically contribute to academic management, and support the administration and organisation of the department to further its education, research activities and ambitions.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing and pastoral care of students, including acting as Personal Tutor;
- Engage with and contribute to department, faculty and institutional level initiatives in accordance with education strategy at all levels of the organisation.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- PhD in relevant subject areas
- Strong research record in mathematical finance or relevant research field, as evidenced by publications in high quality journals and conferences
- In-depth knowledge in an area of mathematical finance or related areas
- Potential to attract external research funds
- Ability to teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in mathematics
- Ability to supervise postgraduate research students
- Ability to make significant contribution to administrative work
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an excellent standard of English language
- A desire and vision to advance research development
- Experience in attracting external research funds
- Experience of teaching and examining
- Experience of administration