Department of Statistics at the Faculty of Technical Sciences of the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
We seek to appoint a
Professor of Stochastic Processes
in accordance with § 99 of the Austrian Universities Act. This is a full-time position, commencing at the earliest opportunity with a fixed term not exceeding 5 years.
We are looking for a highly qualified and internationally recognized scientist who is capable of representing the subject in teaching and research, with high engagement in developing and sustaining an ambitious and innovative research program. The focus of the new position shall be directed at the principles of probability theory as well as specific areas of application of stochastic processes, the latter with a preference for one or more of the fields of modern computer science, information processing, and communication technology (image and signal processing, financial data engineering, actuator and sensor technology, and mobile communication networks, etc.).
The duties of the position include:
- Representing the academic field of „Probability Theory“ as a whole through research and teaching, with a focus on at least one of the following areas: “Markov decision processes”, Stochastic finance”, „Stochastic calculus“, „Stochastic numerical analysis“, or „Stochastic networks“, and applications thereof.
- Active co-responsible participation in the degree program “Technische Mathematik” at Bachelor and Master level, as well as in other relevant degree programs.
- Advising and mentoring of students.
- Promotion and qualification of junior academic colleagues.
- Planning, acquisition and management of competitive third-party funded research projects (proposal-based research).
- Contribution to public relations activities of department and faculty.
- Participation in academic self-governance and university management.
- Habilitation or equivalent qualification in mathematics/statistics.
- Excellent research and publication record in the areas relevant to the duties of the position.
- Proven university teaching record and proficiency in higher education didactics.
- Experience in the supervision of academic theses at all graduation levels.
- Experience in the acquisition, implementation and management of research projects with third-party funding.
- Competence in the organisation and leadership of teams.
The candidate is expected to
- teach the courses „Stochastics I and II“ within the bachelor degree program „Technische Mathematik“ in German, and courses within the master degree program „Technische Mathematik“ (in particular, the courses „Stochastic Processes I and II“) in English,
- participate in shaping the profile of the Department of Statistics and cooperate with the Department of Mathematics; closely connect to the existing core areas of both departments (applied statistics, dynamic systems, system identification and discrete mathematics) and support the joint doctorate program „Modeling, Simulation, Optimization“,
- develop interdisciplinary cooperation efforts within the faculty’s core areas of „Modeling, Simulation, Control and Optimization of Complex Systems“ and „Self-organizing Embedded Systems“,
- set up trans-disciplinary national and international cooperation projects as well as cooperation arrangements with industry and business administration partners.
For more details, see the attachment, or contact Prof. Dr. Manfred Borovcnik (Phone: +43 463 2700 3116, email@example.com).
Submission of applications to the Alpen-Adria-University, Office of the Senate, Ms Sabine Tomicich (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for submission: 23rd April 2017.
The Alpen-Adria-University Klagenfurt strives to appoint a greater number of qualified women to professorships.
See the attachment.