ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK) IN APPLIED MATHEMATICS
At the University of Twente, we focus on the grand challenges of the future including health with its key emerging areas of imaging, artificial intelligence and robotics.
Our Department of Applied Mathematics (Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science) seeks to fill a position of a tenure track assistant professor at the interface of mathematical imaging science and machine learning. The holder should carry out excellent mathematical research on deep learning and neural networks, for example in connection to inverse problems, optimization or approximation theory.
This position is one of 8 tenure trackers in a new Dutch multidisciplinary consortium called 4TU Precision Medicine across 4 technical universities in the Netherlands. Its groundbreaking character combines model driven and data driven research. It entails a shift of thinking from a one-size-fits-all to a tailored and personalized approach in medical imaging using inverse problems and deep learning.
You will establish an independent research line in applied mathematics towards the emerging field of deep learning in inverse problems. With applications in medical imaging physics you will add synergistically to 4TU Precision Medicine and the research portfolio in the imaging and data science domains on campus.
· You will conduct international high-quality research and will grow in a mathematical research environment with the aim of leading a strong research line.
· You should have an excellent scientific track record and are expected to attract national or European research grants to support your research line.
· You will teach Bachelor and Master level courses, supervise theses and will be active in the development of new courses.
· You will lead PhD students in combination with the departmental professors and have obtained (an equivalent of) the Dutch University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or are willing to do so.
· You have a PhD in applied mathematics, or computer science with the core mathematical competencies mentioned above.
· You have an excellent publication record covering at least one of the following areas: mathematical imaging, inverse problems, machine learning theory, optimization or approximation theory.
· You are a good collaborator who is able to combine and extend current knowledge and know-how to the departmental domains including imaging and data science.
· You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level. The University of Twente has an own Education model called TOM.
· You need an excellent command of the English Language. Willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
The deadline for application is November 27, 2018.
For more information please contact dr. Christoph Brune, firstname.lastname@example.org and check the following websites
Math SACS group: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/sacs/.
Data Science group: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/ds/
4TU Precision Medicine: https://www.4tu.nl/en/news/!/84378/awarding_hightech/
Applications, including a CV, a research plan, and contact information of 2 references, should be uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en. If you get invited for an interview it will take place on November 28, 2018. Please indicate your availability in the cover letter.
You will be appointed in the tenure track for a maximum of 6 years. After successful completion of this track you will continue in a permanent position at the Associate Professor level. Criteria for evaluation comprise; a strong track record of publications, evaluation of teaching capacities and a demonstrated ability to acquire research funding and to achieve an international network and reputation.
During your career, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. We offer a structured career and personal development program designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible. You will work in a young, strong and multidisciplinary research environment.
You will receive:
· Starting salary between €3.545,- to €5.513,- gross per month based on your experience;
· A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
· A solid pension scheme;
· Possibilities to save up vacation days for sabbatical leave;
· Minimum of 29 vacation days in case of full-time employment;
· Professional and personal improvement programs, including a personal mentor.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.