As a tenure track assistant/associate professor you will carry out research in one of the leading areas in Mathematics, publish in leading journals in this area, and give talks at important conferences in this field.
You will teach courses of the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Mathematics, and you should also be able to teach Mathematics courses in other disciplines. In addition, you will supervise Bachelor’s and Master’s projects and you will actively contribute to organisational tasks within the institute.
In relation to the interaction between the departments within the Faculty of Science, the recruitment of new students, and other outreach activities, we value an open and outgoing attitude and excellent communication skills.
The Faculty of Science (FNWI) at Radboud University is responsible for research and teaching in mathematics, physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, and computer science. FNWI encompasses six research institutes, one of them being the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP). The main research areas of IMAPP are mathematics, astrophysics and high-energy physics, focusing on disciplinary as well as interdisciplinary approaches, with close links to other research areas and institutes in the faculty and university.
The Mathematics department represents a broad range of areas, including analysis, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, number theory, functional analysis, mathematical physics, non-commutative geometry, special functions and applied stochastics. The department is active in the national mathematical research clusters DIAMANT, GQT and STAR, funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
The Teaching Institute of Mathematics, Physics and Astronomy (WiNSt) is responsible for the teaching programmes in mathematics, physics and astronomy.
What we expect from you
● you have a PhD in Mathematics and are a proven independent researcher;
● you work in one or more subfields of Geometry (broadly interpreted);
● you have a demonstrated track record in leading scientific journals and conferences;
● you have convincingly formulated your own research programme;
● you have excellent teaching skills and preferably some academic teaching experience;
● you should be able to teach a broad range of courses in our teaching programme;
● if you are not sufficiently fluent in Dutch, you will be allowed to teach in English; however, you should be willing and able to acquire the skills necessary to lecture in Dutch within three years;
● you have the potential to generate external research funding to support research projects.
What we have to offer
● employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE;
● a maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,852 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 11);
● in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
● this is a tenure track position. The tenure criteria will be clearly defined at the start of your employment. There will be a mid-term evaluation after three years and a final evaluation after five and a half years at the latest. If the final evaluation is positive, your contract will be converted into a permanent contract;
● if you are already well advanced in your career, an earlier final evaluation may be possible;
● you will be classified as an Assistant Professor (Universitair docent) or as an Associate Professor (Universitair hoofddocent) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO);
● you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
The department aims at increasing the number of female academic mathematicians employed by the institute. Female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Mathematics
For more information about this vacancy, please contact: Prof. dr. B.J.J. Moonen
Telephone: +31 24 365 32 20
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of dr. W. van Suijlekom) exclusively using the button 'Apply' below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
● Motivation letter
● A research statement including a list of publications
● A teaching statement including an overview of teaching experience, experience with student supervision, and information about teaching qualification
Applicants should arrange for three referees to send letters of recommendation to: email@example.com before the closing date. At least one of the referees should comment on the candidate’s teaching qualifications.
Please note: it is your responsibility to ensure that the aforementioned letters are received by the closing date.
Please quote the vacancy number in all your correspondence. The interviews will be held on 31 January and 1 February 2019.
Please apply via the following link: https://www.ru.nl/werken/details/details_vacature_0/?recid=601747