Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis at the School of Science is seeking a
Postdoctoral researcher in Optimisation under Uncertainty for Energy Systems Planning
to work in Prof. Fabricio Oliveira’s research group. The group’s research is focused on developing models and methods for analysing energy systems and exploring potential development pathways in face of more stringent carbon emission limits and the expansion of intermittent renewable generation. In particular, the group’s research concentrates on understanding how policy shifts, market settings, technological developments, among other aspects, can influence the transition to a more (environmentally) sustainable energy system. To achieve this objective, we develop and employ models based on data-driven adaptive/robust optimization, stochastic programming combined with efficient computational methods based on decomposition and parallelization. Some of the current themes our group has been working on includes but are not limited to:
1. Modelling and assessing flexibility alternatives in the Nordics and Europe.
2. Investigating market power shifts in the presence of storage alternatives and transmission expansion.
3. Modelling welfare maximization in competitive market settings.
The selected applicant will contribute to the research activities in the group (i.e., publishing papers, participating in events and in grant applications, and co-supervising students) and collaborate with other partners institutes in Finland and abroad. Opportunities for teaching and self-development (courses and training offered by Aalto) are also available.
We are looking for scholars who can demonstrate:
1. To be completing (by the end of 2019), or have completed within the past 5 years, their doctoral studies in a relevant field of study (Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or related fields).
2. Strong background in optimisation/ mathematical programming and demonstrable research expertise in the field of energy systems planning.
3. Experience in some of the following topics: parallel computing, decomposition methods, stochastic programming, and robust optimization.
4. An excellent command of English language, both spoken and written.
The employment will be two years full-time. The initial salary is approximately €3600/month and the contract includes occupational health care, social security benefits and holiday bonus.
Finland is known for high quality of life, great work-life balance, clean nature, and family-friendly policies such as affordable high-quality daycare and free schools. Helsinki is a vibrant international city with a metropolitan area population of over 1.1 million people.
Aalto University is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, and age. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified individuals from all sectors of the community. For additional information, please contact Fabricio Oliveira (email@example.com).
Please send your application in English as a single PDF file by November 30th 2019 through the eRecruitment system at
Your application should include the following documents:
1. Academic CV, including list of publications
2. A research statement (no more than five (5) A4 pages not including references);
- describing your research interests and the research questions that you would like to explore while working with our group.
- providing evidence of accomplishments and demonstrating skills related to the requirements described above;
3. Contact information for two references.