IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
The IBS Center for Geometry and Physics (IBS-CGP) is working to bring the world’s leading scientists in mathematics together with young researchers to collaborate on research projects with passion and commitment. The IBS-CGP is located on the campus of Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) in Pohang, Korea. The IBS-CGP provides an open and autonomous research environment. The existing members of the IBS-CGP are working on symplectic geometry and topology, dynamical systems, mirror symmetry, algebraic geometry, and mathematical aspects of quantum field and string theory.
(for more information) http://cgp.ibs.re.kr/
2. Job description
The IBS Center for Geometry and Physics (IBS-CGP) invites applications for Associate Director positions from mathematicians of exceptional research record and leadership in the area of geometric topology, dynamical systems, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to make a long-term commitment to IBS-CGP’s research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups.
- Internationally competitive salary (negotiable)
- Dual appointment at POSTECH as a tenured or tenure-track faculty member depending on the candidate’s qualifications.
- Teaching load of one course per semester at POSTECH
- Generous and flexible research grant
- Can hire 1-2 senior research fellows and 3-4 senior researchers for his/her research group
- Free housing of about 105 m2 in size at the POSTECH Faculty Apartment.
- For qualified overseas candidates, relocation expenses and some college educational allowance for up to 2 children will be provided (Note: The above relocation expense and educational allowance etc. will be provided according to POSTECH’s regulations).
5. General Selection Procedure
①Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
②Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
④Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
⑤Negotiation with director
⑥Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, May 12, 2021 (6 weeks after announcement).
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and ‘Name of the Research Center’
About IBS Selection Procedure:
HAN SangJi, Research Evaluation Team
Institute for Basic Science
(34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8083
About IBS Research Center:
KIM Genn Ia, Center for Geometry and Physics
Institute for Basic Science
(37673) 77, Cheongam-ro, Nam-gu, Pohang, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-54-279-9905
Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, May 12, 2021 (6 weeks after announcement).