UiT - The Arctic University of Norway is looking to fill a permanent position as an associate professor in pure mathematics within the field of Algebra and its applications. We are particularly interested in strengthening the research activities within the Lie-Størmer Center for Fundamental Structures in Computational and Pure Mathematics which will unite and advance the research frontiers in computational and pure mathematics by exploring fundamental mathematical structures and their increasing significance for modern computational problems. Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate connections to the current research activities in the Algebra group and the Lie-Størmer Center. The successful candidate will join the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and will be associated to the Algebra group.
We will consider both experienced researchers and up-and-coming candidates in earlier stages of their careers, and the evaluation of the applicants will be on the potential of the candidates to contribute to the creation of a leading research group in the field of Algebra and its applications. The department is particularly committed to increase the proportion of women in senior research positions. We therefore especially encourage female candidates to apply.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics is a leading research department in algebra, differential geometry, complex systems modeling, and climate science. It provides education at the bachelor, master, and Ph.D. levels. Around 40 people are employed in the department, out of which 17 are permanent faculty-staff, 2 are administrative personal and further several Ph.D. students and postdocs. The Lie Størmer Center is a proposed Center of Excellence within the second phase of Norwegian Centre of Excellence scheme (SFF V) to start in 2023.
The workplace is at UiT in Tromsø. You must be able to start in the position in Tromsø within a reasonable time, within 6 months after receiving the offer.
The application must include:
- Cover letter including a short description of interests and reasons for applying for the position
- CV (containing a complete overview of education, supervised professional training, and professional work),
- Diplomas, diploma supplements and transcripts (all degrees, in original language and translated)
- Written references
- Three references with contact details
- Documented pedagogical competence
- Research plan describing planed research activities and potential collaborations within the Algebra group, the Lie-Størmer Center and the department
- A list of your academic production
- Description of your academic production, stating which works you consider most important
- Academic works, up to ten. The doctoral thesis is regarded as one work
- Details of the projects managed so far
- Information about dissemination activities
Documentation has to be in English or a Scandinavian language. The application and submitted documents must be sent electronically via https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/213932/associate-professor-in-pure-mathematics