The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Department of Economics, Quantitative Economics Division (QED, Head: Prof. Martin Wagner), at the Faculty of Management and Economics, to commence at the earliest opportunity:
PreDoc Scientist (in German: Universitätsassistent*in) (Doctoral Candidate) (all genders welcome)
Level of employment: 75 % (30 hours/week)
Minimum salary: € 31,200.40 per annum (gross), Classification according to collective agreement: B1
Limited to: 4 years
Application deadline: by 26 January 2022
Reference code: 738/21
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Quantitative Economics research group at the Department of Economics has a clear focus on high-quality research and is active in a variety of topics in economics, econometrics and quantitative economics. The position comprises the following tasks and responsibilities:
· independent research resulting in a doctoral thesis in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics
· cooperation and support in research and teaching activities both in German and in English, support in organisational and administrative duties of the department
· supervision of students
· participation in university committees, in university self-governance and in public relations activities of the department
Prerequisites for the appointment:
- completed Diploma or Master's studies with excellent performance in economics or a related field (e.g. statistics, mathematics, econometrics or similar) at a domestic or foreign higher education institution
- excellent knowledge in data analysis, econometrics and/or statistics
Additional desired qualifications:
- first experiences in academic teaching and research
- first experiences in quantitative economics or similar fields
- dedication to research in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics; preferably documented by first research results in, e.g., the master thesis or first publications
- interest in academic career in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics
- willingness to participate in research, teaching and administrative tasks
- interest in working in a highly productive work environment, strong performance orientation and commitment, organizational skills
- very good knowledge of German (level C1-C2)
- very good knowledge of English (level C1-C2)
- good software and programming skills, e.g. Matlab, R, EViews or similar
The employment contract is concluded with a starting salary of € 2.228,60 gross per month (14 times a year; previous experience deemed relevant to the job can be recognised in accordance with the collective agreement).
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
· Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching
· Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
· Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
· The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in German or English providing the usual documents:
· Letter of application
· Curriculum vitae
· Proof of all completed higher education programmes (certificates, supplements, if applicable)
· Other documentary evidence that may be relevant to this announcement (see prerequisites and desired qualifications)
The position is solely intended for the completion of a Doctorate. Applicants with a Doctorate or Ph.D. already completed in a related discipline are therefore ineligible for this position.
To apply, please select the position with the reference code 738/21 in the category “Scientific Staff” using the link “Apply for this position” in the job portal at jobs.aau.at/en/.
Candidates must furnish proof that they meet the required qualifications by 26 January 2022 at the latest.
In the context of responding to the pandemic, the University of Klagenfurt attaches particular importance to the willingness of its members to be vaccinated. The formation and continuation of the employment relationship advertised here are subject to proof of up-to-date and valid 2G compliance (2G = vaccinated or recovered) (see – in German only - Covid 19 Supplement to the House and Use Regulations, section 2 and section 5 subsection 4 respectively).
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Prof. Martin Wagner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Christina Kopetzky (email@example.com). General information about the university as an employer can be found at jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/. At the University of Klagenfurt, recruitment and staff matters are accompanied not only by the authority responsible for the recruitment procedure but also by the Equal Opportunities Working Group and, if necessary, by the Representative for Disabled Persons.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will be given preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfil the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
Translations into other languages shall serve informational purposes only. Solely the version advertised in the University Bulletin (Mitteilungsblatt) shall be legally binding.