The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Department of Mathematics at the Faculty of Technical Sciences, with an expected starting date of December 1, 2022:
Assistant Professor (postdoc), non-tenure track (all genders welcome)
Level of employment: 100 % (40 hours/week)
Minimum salary: € 56,861.-- per annum (gross); classification according to collective agreement: B1 lit. b
Limited to: 6 years
Application deadline: September 21, 2022
Reference code: 399/22
Area of responsibility
- Independent research with the aim of habilitation
- Independent delivery of courses in German and English (German language skills are not a formal prerequisite, but proficiency at level B2 is expected within two years)
- Participation in the research and teaching projects run by the Department of Mathematics
- Supervision of students
- Participation in organisational and administrative tasks and in quality assurance measures
- Contribution to expanding the international scientific and cultural contacts of the Department of Mathematics
- Participation in public relations activities
- Doctoral degree in Mathematics or a related field completed at a domestic or foreign higher education institution. This requirement must be fulfilled two weeks before the starting date at the latest; hence, the last possible deadline for meeting this requirement is November 15, 2022
- A strong background in one or more of the following fields: semidefinite programming, combinatorial optimization, polynomial optimization, mixed-integer nonlinear optimization
- First relevant publications
- Presentations at scientific conferences
- Programming skills (e.g., Python, Julia, Matlab, SageMath, C/C++, …)
- Fluency in English
- Experience in the acquisition and running of third-party funded projects and readiness to play an active role in third-party funded projects and their acquisition
- Didactic competence and proven successful teaching experience
- Scientific curiosity and enthusiasm for imparting knowledge
- German language skills
- Ability to work in a diverse team
The employment contract is concluded for the position as Assistant Professor (postdoc) and stipulates a starting salary of € 4,061.50 gross per month (14 times a year; previous experience deemed relevant to the job can be recognised).
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching including bespoke training for women in science
- Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in English providing the following documents:
- Letter of application, please include your motivation to apply for this position.
- Curriculum vitae including complete lists of publications, conference talks, and of teaching activities. Please do not include a photo.
- Copies of degree certificates / official documents
- If an applicant has not received the doctoral degree by the application deadline, the applicant should provide a declaration, written either by a supervisor or by the candidate themselves, on the feasibility of finishing the doctoral degree by November 15, 2022 at the latest.
- Please provide two references (contact details of persons who the university may contact for information purposes)
This position as Assistant Professor (postdoc) is a non-tenure track position. It is advertised without the option of negotiating a qualification agreement.
To apply, please select the position with the reference code 399/22 in the category “Scientific Staff” using the link “Apply for this position”.
Candidates must furnish proof that they meet the required qualifications by November 15, 2022 at the latest.
The University of Klagenfurt is aware of its social responsibility even in times of COVID-19. This is reflected by the high proportion of fully immunised persons among students and employees. For this reason, a continued willingness to be vaccinated in connection with COVID-19 is expected upon entering into university employment.
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Angelika Wiegele (email@example.com). General information about the university as an employer can be found at https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/. At the University of Klagenfurt, recruitment and staff matters are accompanied not only by the authority responsible for the recruitment procedure but also by the Equal Opportunities Working Group and, if necessary, by the Representative for Disabled Persons.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will be given preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfil the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
Translations into other languages shall serve informational purposes only. Solely the version advertised in the University Bulletin (Mitteilungsblatt) shall be legally binding.