Workplace : RENNES
Date of publication : Monday, November 7, 2022
Type of Contract : FTC Scientist
Contract Period : 24 months
Expected date of employment : 1 September 2023
Proportion of work : Full time
Remuneration : between 2805 and 3963 Euros per month (gross salary)
Desired level of education : PhD
Experience required : Indifferent
The candidate will be part of the ERC project ``Groups of Algebraic Transformations'', whose main topics are
- groups of birational transformations, especially problems at the interface between geometric group theory and birational geometry;
- dynamics of (semi)groups of polynomial or rational transformations (arithmetic, algebraic and holomorphic aspects);
- the algebraic geometry of varieties which admit an infinite group of automorphisms, in particular rational varieties and Calabi-Yau varieties.
The project ``Groups of Algebraic Transformations'' has a double aim: (1) to analyze the constraints on a group of finite type to act faithfully by algebraic transformations on an algebraic variety; (2) to study the dynamics of some interesting explicit actions (e.g. character varieties).
The hired person will participate in the activities of the laboratory (IRMAR) and the ERC project ``Groups of Algebraic Transformations'':
- attend team seminars;
- get involved in working groups and conferences;
- interact with other members of the project.
The hired person's research will be devoted to subjects connected to groups of algebraic transformations.
The research topics cover a wide spectrum from complex algebraic geometry to group theory and dynamical systems (holomorphic, arithmetic, etc). Any person competent in one of these topics and motivated by the problems suggested above can apply.
Skills in arithmetic dynamics and/or algebraic geometry will be particularly appreciated.
The person recruited will be hosted at the Institut de Recherches Mathématiques de Rennes (IRMAR), which includes many researchers in group theory, algebraic geometry, analytical geometry and dynamical systems.
A special trimester around Zimmer's program will be held in Paris (IHP) during spring 2024, as well as a summer school around Cremona groups (in Grenoble).
Program ERC Advanced Grant ``Groups of Algebraic Transformations'' (principal investigator, Serge Cantat, with active participation of Christophe Dupont, Vincent Guirardel, François Maucourant)
Only through CNRS website.