The IDea_Lab of the University of Graz is seeking to appoint a
Professor of Machine Learning Methods
(40 hours per week; selection procedure in accordance with Section 98 of the Universities Act (UG); permanent employment according to the Austrian Law on Salaried Employment (AngG); expected starting date March 1st 2024)
The professorship represents the area Machine Learning Methods and combines basic methodological research of machine learning with interdisciplinary applications. Central research topics of the position holder may include but are not limited to the development of novel techniques of reinforced learning, generative models, uncertainty quantification of neural networks, or questions of transparency, accountability and explainability of artificial intelligence (AI). In partnership with the professorship “Data Analysis”, the professorship is expected to build up the methodological expertise of the cross-faculty IDea_Lab and foster its further development. The position holder has an intrinsic interest to communicate the subject and build a network of interest across the faculties of the University of Graz.
- Austrian or equivalent foreign higher education degree corresponding with the position (doctorate/PhD)
- Habilitation or equivalent qualification in Mathematics, Informatics, and related areas
- Outstanding academic qualifications in research and teaching in the relevant discipline and for the profile of the professorship (commensurate with stage of academic career)
- Success in attracting subject-specific project grants, particularly where competitively awarded third-party funds are concerned
- Skills in higher education didactics and online teaching
- Skills in the supervision and guidance of early career researchers
- Professional experience abroad during academic career
- Management and leadership experience
- Gender mainstreaming skills
- Readiness to interdisciplinary teaching
- Readiness and competence for interdisciplinary cooperation
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, aiming for academic excellence and integrity in research and teaching. He/she will have demonstrated ability to collaborate constructively in a responsible manner and inspire colleagues and students in an interdisciplinary, internationally oriented context.
We offer a diverse, challenging, team-oriented working environment and a high degree of personal responsibility. Working hours are flexible and there are many options for further education and personal development.
Salary scheme of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff (Universitäten-KV): A1
The minimum remuneration as stated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement is EUR 81.571,00 gross per year. Salary subject to negotiation.
Application deadline: June 28th 2023
Reference number: BV/6/98 ex 2022/23
Planned dates of the applicant’s presentation: 20.11.2023 to 22.11.2023
The University of Graz is committed to increasing the proportion of female employees, especially in leadership roles. We therefore encourage qualified female colleagues in particular to apply for this position. In case of equal qualifications, women will receive priority consideration.
Please submit your application documents (in German or English) in accordance with the general as well as the specific (especially defined for this professorship) application guidelines (which can be found at http://jobs.uni-graz.at/en/Berufungsverfahren) before the stated deadline. Your application documents should include the reference number of the position and be sent by email to:
For further information please contact Prof. Klemens Fellner at +43 (0) 316 / 380 - 5180.