One Research Fellowship is available with Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, in the project “Mathematical theory of dislocations: geometry, analysis, and modelling (MATH2DISLOC)”, financed by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (FCT), under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Analysis, Geometry and Mathematical Modelling in Mechanics
2. Requirements for admission:
Mandatory: Ph.D in Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering or Physics.
Preferencial: Research experience/knowledge in Analysis, differential geometry, Calculus of Variations, Elasticity, Defects modelling in Solids (Fracture, dislocations, point defects).
3. Work Plan:
The work must encompass one of the following topics of the research project MATH2DISLOC. Specifically, the study a plasticity model based on strain incompatibility; the study of dislocation singularities in elastic bodies (functional analysis and geometry); the study of the dynamics of a dislocation network (gradient flow, Cahn-Hilliard, thermodynamic forces); the study of a differential geometry formalism for dislocations. Other topic of interest are topological optimization, and variational problems in nonlinear elasticity. A last topic is coding and numerical simulation (finite elements) for bidimensional elasto-plasticity problems.
4. Legislation framework: Law No. 40/2004, of August 18th, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of August 27th, by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of October 29th, by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29th, and by Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of July 9th and Lisbon University Fellowships Regulation, published by Order (extract) No. 6977/2015 of June 23th (https://dre.pt/application/file/67564222)
5. Place of work: The work will be developed at CMAF, Department of Mathematics, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa.
6. Scientific supervision: Nicolas Francesco Van Goethem
7. Fellowship duration: This fellowship is opened for 12 months, not renewable. It is expected to begin in March/April 2017.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amount to € 1.495,00, according to Lisbon University Fellowships Regulation (https://dre.pt/application/file/67564222). It will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection criteria: Candidates will be assessed based on their CV and other documentation, as follows:
- CV (50%)
- Research project/proposal (50%)