Faculty of mathematics and physics of the University of Ljubljana invites motivated students to apply for a PhD position within the project Commuting matrices and Hilbert schemes of points. More details regarding the project and the PhD position may be found on the web pages https://www.fmf.uni-lj.si/en/research/NationalProjects/N1-0103/ and https://www.fmf.uni-lj.si/storage/50776/PhD_position.pdf. Apart from working on the project, the candidate is also expected to enrol in the doctoral programme in mathematics at the University of Ljubljana. More about the doctoral programme can be found on the web page http://phd.fmf.uni-lj.si/.
Starting date: 1st October 2019.
Duration of the contract: 2 years (financed by Slovenian Research Agency), with possible extension for another 2 years.
- Master's degree of mathematics completed before 1st October 2019
- solid background and strong interest in algebra, including at least one of the following areas: commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, Lie algebras, algebraic or Lie groups, representation theory
- fluency in English, both written and spoken.
The application should include:
- letter of interest
- transcript of records
- a copy of master's thesis, if applicable
- one recommendation letter from a university member that is able to give fair assessment of candidate's knowledge and strengths in this area.
All documents should be sent directly to Klemen Šivic (firstname.lastname@example.org).