Institute for Mathematics and Scientific Computing is looking for an
University Assistant with doctorate
(40 hours a week; fixed-term employment for the period of 6 years; position to be filled as of October 1st 2020 )
- Research in the field of numerical mathematics with special consideration of HPC solution methods for PDEs and parameter determination in applications
- Application and adaptation of existing numerical open source HPC software to problems of parameter determination in PDEs
- Further development of HPC preconditioners for PDEs and their integration in open source projects
- Expansion of high performance computing expertise at the institute
- Linking HPC and machine learning
- Participation in the Scientific Computing group and in existing collaborations in BioTechMed and in the field of excellence COLIBRI. Establishment of further cooperations in this area
- Independent teaching of courses in the field of applied mathematics, supervision of students and holding of exams
- Participation in organizational and administrative matters
- Doctoral degree in a mathematical, IT or related branch of study
- Very good knowledge of the numerics of PDEs and parallel solution methods
- Comprehensive knowledge of FEM for linear and nonlinear problems
- Good expertise in the use of existing open source HPC software for PDEs (e.g. PETSc, dune, trilinos, Scalapack etc.)
- Very good knowledge of C ++ or python programming, practical experience with MPI or OpenMP or CUDA
- Knowledge in data-driven methods and machine learning is desirable
- High interest in various areas of application such as life sciences, biophysics
- Ability for integration into interdisciplinary cooperation projects
- Capacity for teamwork, organizational talent and ability to communicate
- Ability to teach in german and in english language
Salary scheme of the Universitäten-KV (University Collective Agreement): B1
The minimum salary as stated in the collective agreement and according to the classification scheme is EUR 3889.50 gross/month. This minimum salary may be higher due to previous employment periods eligible for inclusion and other earnings and remunerations.
We offer you a job with a lot of responsibility and variety. You can expect an enjoyable work climate, flexible work hours and numerous possibilities for further education and personal development. Take advantage of the chance to enter into a challenging work environment full of team spirit and enthusiasm for your job.
Application Deadline: May 6th 2020
Reference Number: MB/104/99 ex 2019/20
The University of Graz strives to increase the proportion of women in particular in management and faculty positions and therefore encourages qualified women to apply.
Especially with regard to academic staff, we welcome applications from persons with disabilities who meet the requirements of the advertised position.
If you are interested, please submit your application documents before the stated deadline. Make sure to indicate the reference number on your application and please send your CV and photo to:
For further information please contact Mr. Prof. Gundolf Haase (email@example.com)